Follow a few simple rules and you won’t have to worry about living on one income. In fact, you may thrive better than you ever did on two incomes!
Life on one income can feel like a balancing act. Like you have to stay upright on a ball, even as you spin more and more plates over your head.
There are some simple things you should keep in mind when you’re living life on one income. Remember these rules and you’ll find they make everything better.
In fact, with these rules in place…you may find that life is better than ever before!
Remember, life is not all about money.
The 25 Simple Rules You Should Follow to Thrive While Living On One Income
1. Never buy things with money you hope you’ll have later.
2. If you chose this lifestyle, remember how much you longed to be able to stay home.
3. If you didn’t choose this lifestyle, never stop looking for ways to improve your life.
4. Use Personal Capital to keep your budget honest. (It’s free.)
5. Your people are hanging out at the library and local parks. Find them and make friends.
6. A good Facebook group can be the perfect support system.
7. Using modern homesteading ideas makes you adventurous!
8. Comparison can either steal your joy or increase your gratitude. Choose wisely.
9. Truth, goodness, beauty, wonder, and humility are free. Embracing these things builds a rich life.
10. Eating your PB&J outside makes it a new experience.
11. Learn something new often. Knowledge these days is free or close to it. (Especially if your library has free use of computers or tablets.)
12. Pssst…your kids say they want the latest gadget. But really they want your time.
13. What are you most passionate about? Passion gives more than it takes. Be the change.
14. Look forward to something. Dropping your loose change into a jar can add up to something big! The anticipation of a splurge can be just as much fun as the experience itself.
15. You’re always rich at the library.
16. Rethink everything. Big changes in life often lead to good things. Lose the huge house and expensive car payments and embrace a #yearofno.
17. Take food and drinks along. Try this list of snacks for trips.
18. When it’s time to buy, get the best quality item you can find. But don’t pay full price.
19. Avoid the pantry challenge.
20. Contracts and payments are not your friends.
21. Find a home remedies book at the thrift store or yard sale. Use it often.
22. Use a monthly meal planner.
23. Eat leftovers first.
24. Collect all the frugal living tips you can find.
25. Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they are doing. Do things without always knowing how they’ll turn out. ~Randall Munroe
That’s how you make living on one income into a beautiful life.
Are you dreaming of staying home with the kids? Check out the steps you can take to become a stay at home mom.
What is your favorite tip for living on one income?